Nose twitching can be irritating. What with the recurrent spasms that can be so strong at times that they kick off glasses from your face? Are you wondering what could be causing this twitching? Is there need to see a doctor? Did you know that there are a number of superstitions surrounding nose twitching? We explore these areas and many more.
Nose Twitching Meaning
How to stop
Nose twitching refers to uncontrolled minor yet repetitive motions of the muscles. The affected muscles undergo small contractions. Twitching is described by those who suffer from it as a bothersome and irritating movement of the nose.
Why is My Nose Twitching?
Nose twitches could be a symptom of a damage of a nerve . It could also be as a result of tic disorder such as Tourette’s syndrome . When people are tired or stressed out, it is also possible to get twitches.
A lack of potassium in the diet may be another reason. Caffeine, use of stimulant medication and drugs, lack of sleep too could other reasons for twitching of the nose . Some people get nose twitches when they are stressed out. Excitement also may be a another symptom associated with twitching nose as people with recurrent twitches on the nose will have it amplified by any extreme emotions.
In general, the causes can be subdivided depending on how severe the condition is.
General causes of nose twitching :
These are general causes of nose twitching that can be treated at home. They require no treatment. A lifestyle change could help t reat most nose twitching caused by them.
- Dietary deficiencies such as a lack of potassium in the food we eat
- Consumption of stimulant products such as drugs and caffeine in excessive amounts
- Excessive exercise which may cause injury to the blood capillaries in the nose.
- Side effects of some medication
- When one is too stressed
- Kidney disorders such as kidney failure, kidney stones and any other kind of kidney anomalies
Neurological causes of twitching
This group of causes of nose twitching relates to disorders of the nervous system and include:
- Myotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Multiple sclerosis. This disease affects the brain and the spinal cord. As a result, a person becomes weak and gets a coordination and balance problem which may end up causing nose twitching.
- Brachial plexus injury: This refers to an injury on the nerves that are responsible for transiting signals from the spine to the arms, hands and shoulders.
- Muscular dystrophy: This is an inherited disorder that causes loss of muscular tissue leading to weakening of the muscles.
- Myasthenia gravis: This is an autoimmune neuromuscular disorder
- Parkinson’s disease: Too much hair in the nasal cavity may a cause
- Compression or entrapment of the nerves such as the arm’s ulnar nerve
- Tourette’s syndrome: This neurological disorder is characterized by tics or vocal outbursts and is related to twitching of the nose.
Life threatening causes of nose twitches
In some cases, twitches may be a symptom of a serious or life-threatening condition that should be evaluated immediately. These include:
- Brain tumor
- Traumatic brain injury
- Transient ischemic attack this refers to when a patient experiences symptoms that are a sign of an impending stroke
- Trauma to the face, head or neck
Twitching of the nose for most people is not a problem. It becomes a habit that only they can notice. This is more so in the mild cases. In other cases, the twitching is too much with a high frequency, painful and can be seen by others. This may be a bother to the victim. They should seek medical attention to ease the irritation and get comfortable.
Bridge of Nose Twitching
Twitching of the nose can be felt anywhere on the nose. So, do not be surprised if you experience a nose bridge twitching. In fact when it is severe on the bridge of the nose, the effects can be felt by a person who wears glasses as they may feel them move.
Nose Twitching Superstition
There are a lot of myths that have been attributed to nose twitching. These vary from community to community and include superstitions on good and bad omen.
Twitching Nose Associated with Good Omen
Good omen related to twitching of the nose. If your nose twitches;
How to get rid
- Good luck is by your side.
- You will receive good news about the birth of a baby
- Money will be coming your way
- Your worries will come to an end
- You will be getting married soon
- A stranger will bring happiness into your life
- You are about to meet your soul mate
- There will be an achievement related celebration soon
- You are about to prove how responsible you are by handling a difficult situation well
- Whatever plans you are having will come along well
- You will be invited to a meeting with individuals in high authority
- In the future you are likely to be calm and patient
Bad Omen Associated with a Twitching Nose
Bad omen usually associated with nose twitching states that if your nose is twitching:
How to Stop Nose Twitching
As seen earlier on, tension could be caused by serious diseases. Failing to seek treatment may cause complications and even permanent damage. The doctor starts by diagnosing what is causing the twitching and then recommends treatment which should be adhered to.
Failure to seek treatment may lead to the following:
- Impaired coordination and body balance
- Visual impairment
- Loss of sensation
- Neurological problems
- Brain damage as a result of the infection of the danger triangle.
In cases of mild nose twitching, eliminate the causes of the twitching:
- Ensure you get enough sleep
- Reduce the amount of caffeine and other stimulants that you take in a day
- Have a potassium rich diet
- Relax and stay positive. Avoid getting stressed.
- Get a saline solution from a drug store and use it on your nose
Suggested Further Reading:
- Pimple in Nose – Causes, Meaning and Getting Rid
- Nose Picking & How to Stop Picking Your Nose
- Nose Pain – On Nose Bridge, Inside Broken Nose Pain
- Itchy Nose – Meaning, Superstition, Myth, Relief & Runny
- Cold Sores in Nose – Causes, Pictures, Treatment and Home Remedies
- Sores in Nose that Won’t Heal – Causes & What to Do
- Scab in Nose Causes, Bloody, Painful Scabs in Nose that Won’t Go
- Swollen Nasal Passages Causes, Allergies, Treatment & Medicine
- Swollen Nose – Causes, Red, On Bridge, Nose Tip and During Pregnancy
- Nose Bridge – Piercing, Sore, Painful & Surgery
- Dry Nose Symptoms, Remedies, Treatments, Dry Skin on Nose
- Causes of Redness around Nose and How to Get Rid of Redness Around Nose