What does an itchy nose mean? This guide will take a look at some common causes of nose itchiness. We will also highlight some popular itchy nose myths (or superstitions if you like). Lastly, we’ll discuss some of the ways in which you can stop an itching nose.
Why Is My Nose Itchy
Is your nose itchy?
Your unique hair, skin and nail beauty vitamins. ...Read more here »
Itchy nose is a natural way for the body to respond to irritants in and around the nose. This could happen due to allergic reactions triggered by exposure to chemical fumes, fragrances, pollen, and dust among others, or due to consumption of spicy food. It can also happen when the nose gets too dry due to harsh weather and environmental conditions. The nose can also get itchy due to bacterial infections.
What Does Itchy Nose Means, Meaning
A nose that is itchy means different things to different people.
In medical context, it usually means that your nose is inflamed due to exposure to some irritants, an infection or due to dryness caused by harsh environmental conditions.
In that context having an itching nose therefore means that the nose requires attention to get rid of the causative factors. For example, it might mean that it is time to get a nasal spray or some antihistamine medications from your local pharmacy.
It might also mean that it is time to restore moisture in your nose using various measures such as application of moisturizing lotions or ointments and investing in a humidifier.
Away from the medical interpretations, there are several itchy nose meanings that are more of superstitions (or myths). We’ll list several myths below.
Itchy Nose Superstition and Itching Nose Myth
In some cultures and countries however, an itching nose is associated with numerous superstitions (or myths if you like). Some of these myths are just plain hilarious.
Itchy nose and Quarreling myth
Keep Your Body Slim & Fit...Read more here »
One of the most common myths is that if you have an itching nose, you will end up getting a quarrel with someone at some point.
This could be true or not, but it is up to you to decide. Personal experiences vary from one person to another and while one person might get up a nose that is itchy and a few hours later get into serious confrontation, others may not have such a twist of things.
Regardless of where this itchy nose superstition came from, we can challenge it by considering the case of people who are allergic to pet dander, pollen, and dust mites. If such a person has a cat in his/her house, it would not be surprising to have a nose that is itchy every now and then.
It follows that if the myth was true (or holds its waters every time) such a person would be quarreling every day and could easily end up covered in bruises, particularly during the time of the year when pollen levels in the sir increase. If you know someone who is allergic to such elements, chances are that they don’t live a quarrelsome life.
Don’t get mad at me, though, I mean no offence to your culture. Perhaps you have a way to explain things around.
What does having a nose that is itchy mean?
Kissing a fool
Another common superstition is that it means you will kiss a fool.
Other Itchy nose superstitions
Below are some more superstitions (or should I call them myths?) that you might find interesting.
- It is a sign that someone else has you in his/her mind. A twist to this itchy nose myth is that a nose that is itchy when away from home means that you are needed at home. Does this superstition mean that it is time to make a call home? Maybe.
- A letter will be hitting your address soon
- Someone is coming. Rubbing a nose that is itchy on wood can guarantee the arrival of that person. A twist to this itchy nose superstition is that an itch on the right side of the nose means that a man is coming, but if it occurs on the left side of the nose, this is a sign that a woman is coming.
- It means that someone loves you
- If the right side of your nose is itching, your other half (your loved one) is on his way
- It indicate that some money is coming your way
This list of nose itching superstitions is not at all exhaustive. There are many other myths for nose that is itchy than we have time and space to list here.
Itchy Nose due to Allergies
Allergies triggered by various environmental elements can result in a nose that is itchy For example, exposure to indoor and outdoor allergens such as pollen, dust, chemical fumes, dust mites, can cause allergic reactions and thus you could have an itchy nose due to allergies. Eating certain foods can also trigger allergic reactions, resulting in nose itchiness.
Dry Itchy Nose
Dry itchy nose is commonly experienced following exposure to harsh environmental conditions that deplete the moisture in the skin. This often happens during winter when humidity levels take a dip. At such times, people also tend to use furnaces and other heating elements. This can make the air around the house low in moisture resulting in dry, itching nose.
Stop aging. Less wrinkles...Read more here »
Dry nose that is itchy could also be an indication of exposure of skin to harsh cleansing agents and cosmetics. A dry nose that is itchy can also be a sign of skin ailments. Restoring skin moisture using moisturizing lotions and applying topical antibiotics creams often helps, but if the problem persists, consider seeing your doctor.
Itchy Runny Nose
itchy and runny
An itchy runny nose is a common sign of rhinitis. This refers to an inflammation of the nose characterized by runny nose, sneezing, and an itching nose. Rhinitis is commonly caused by common cold. Cold temperatures and exposure to pollen and other allergens are common triggers or rhinitis.
To get rid of itchy runny nose , you should start by identifying and eliminating any elements that may be causing an allergy. Antihistamine nasal sprays and medications can also help to relieve the problem. If symptoms however doesn’t seem to clear, you should schedule an appointment with your doctor.
Itchy Inside Nose
If you are feeling itchy inside the nose, this might be a sign of nasal inflammation. This is often caused by infections. For example this can be the result of a viral infection such as common cold which typically starts with an itchy feeling in your nose and increase drainage before progressing into a full fledged bout of cold accompanied with coughing, nasal congestion and other symptoms.
Another common cause of nasal inflammation (and itchy inside of the nose) is exposure to allergens such as molds, pollen and dust mites among others.
Itchy inside of the nose could also be the result of a drying out effect on the nasal skin and passageways.
How to Stop an Itchy Nose – Relief
A nose that is itchy can be quite bothersome, I agree. It sucks to have to keep scratching the nose and the red flush that can result with continuous scratching or picking is not pleasant either. So, how do you stop and itchy nose?
Mother Nature’s Secret Way to Get Back in Shape...Read more here »
The best way to give an itching nose some relief is to address the underlying factors. Here are a few tips to help you stop an itching no se:
- Antihistamine : Histamine ranks among common causes of nasal itching. It is usually released following exposure to allergens. Using over-the-counter antihistamines can offer relief.
- Eliminate allergens in your environment : To ensure long-term relief, the causative allergens must be identified and eliminated.
- Moisturize the nose . Itchiness on the outside of the nose is often caused by dryness. This can be reduced by applying some lotions and ointment on the nose. A little petroleum jelly can also be used on the inside of the nose.
- Use a humidifier in your house to increase the level of humidity
Suggested Further Reading:
- Pimple in Nose – Causes, Meaning and Getting Rid
- Nose Twitching – Cause, Meaning, Superstition & How to Stop
- Nose Picking & How to Stop Picking Your Nose
- Nose Pain – On Nose Bridge, Inside Broken Nose Pain
- Cold Sores in Nose – Causes, Pictures, Treatment and Home Remedies
- Sores in Nose that Won’t Heal – Causes & What to Do
- Scab in Nose Causes, Bloody, Painful Scabs in Nose that Won’t Go
- Swollen Nasal Passages Causes, Allergies, Treatment & Medicine
- Swollen Nose – Causes, Red, On Bridge, Nose Tip and During Pregnancy
- Nose Bridge – Piercing, Sore, Painful & Surgery
- Dry Nose Symptoms, Remedies, Treatments, Dry Skin on Nose
- Causes of Redness around Nose and How to Get Rid of Redness Around Nose