What are itchy flaky scalp causes? Find out what could be making your scalp itchy and flaky. You can make use of best shampoos remedies and treatment to get rid of an itchy flaky scalp. Discover the best shampoos remedies and treatment for itching flaking scalp in this article.
Itchy Flaky Scalp
Your unique hair, skin and nail beauty vitamins. ...Read more here »
The scalp is a sensitive part of skin, which protests when it is derived moisture, cleaned poorly or cleaned with harsh chemicals. The buildup of dirt and excessive skin leads to itchy flaky scalp, which can be embarrassing to have around friends if all you do is grate it hard and dead skin cells falls on your clothes on those around you. Dealing with an itchy scalp, you can get relief fast but when it gets flaky, you can never be too sure because everybody experiences it once a while in their entire lives.
Since most people get itchy flaky scalps, it means the condition is normal and is not in the least dangerous. You can rid your scalp the itchiness and the flakes if you settle on the best shampoos, home remedies and treatments. However, it is always best to start with a change of shampoos and use home remedies before seeking treatment from a dermatologist or any doctor. Only then can you be sure that your itchy flaky scalp is caused by something more serious than the usual dandruff. Find out the causes of itchy flaky scalp and the various treatments from prescription, best shampoos and remedies at home shortly.
Itchy Flaky Scalp Causes – What Causes Dry Itchy Flaky Scalp
Some of the causes of itchy scalp also lead to dry itchy flaky scalp. What causes dry itchy flaky scalp is
Itchy Flaky Scalp Causes
- Seborrheic dermatitis
- Too much rubbing of the scalp when it is dry or too oily
These itchy flaky scalp causes give different types of flakes on scalp. While dandruff is marked by tiny annoying dust like flakes, seborrheic dermatitis flakes are larger. When it comes to psoriasis the flakes are silvery and white, sometimes they may be reddish and you will have not only itchiness with psoriasis, but also soreness on scalp.
Treating dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis at home is possible while psoriasis may require prescription shampoos and medication.
Flaky Itchy Scalp Myths
There are myths associated with flaky itchy scalp that would like to set straight.
- When you have itchy flay scalp is that you should not oil your hair.
This is not true because in most cases dandruff is due to lack of enough moisture on the scalp. You can correct it by having oil massages on scalp each day before you go to bed. This will not only stimulate hair growth, but also remove any dead skin cells on the scalp. A massage with olive oil, tea tree oil, and jojoba, clary sage and lemon oils can improve the condition of your scalp and your hair. Do mix these oils with an essential oil that has antibacterial and antifungal properties.
Keep Your Body Slim & Fit...Read more here »
- Flaky itchy scalp is caused by accumulation of dirt
True and false, the flakes that you see fall off from your scalp are dead skin cells and they could it could be also dirt from accumulation of heavy oils that are not absorbed into the scalp. Consequently, you should avoid greases on scalp that have mineral oil and petrolatum. These tend to be too heavy on scalp and do not get absorbed.
- Flaky itchy scalp is a fungus
Yes and no, this is because the scalp just like any other part of skin sheds dead skin cells. Fungus could also be responsible for the flakes on scalp if you have an oily scalp. Too much oil production on scalp is a breeding ground for malessezia globosa a fungus that causes inflammation on the scalp hence the itch and flakes at the same time.
How to Treat Red Itchy Flaky Scalp
From excessive scratching and from the underlying cause of your itchy flaky scalp, you could become red. Red itchy flaky scalp is common if you have psoriasis or ringworms. You can prevent injury to your scalp by:
- Avoid scratching excessively by wearing gloves at night to avoid rubbing your scalp in your sleep. Excessive scratching increases the risk of staph infection.
- Apply cool compresses on scalp to ease the itchy feeling
- Change your shampoos and have at least three different brands that you rotate in a week. These should contain Ketoconazole, selenium, coal tar, zinc, resorcin and salicylic acid. The shampoos should be also at a pH of between four and five. Avoid shampoos with sulfate compounds, strong fragrances, dyes, silicone, alcohol and formaldehyde. The products should also be hypoallergenic. If this change does not improve the red itchy flaky scalp, use home recipes for shampoos, treatments and moisturizing.
- Avoid washing your scalp with hot water and instead use tepid
What is the Best Shampoo for Itchy Flaky Scalp?
Finding the right shampoo for your itchy flaky scalp is important because it means that you begin carrying out treatment from the washing of your scalp. The shampoo gets closest to your scalp to remove not only dead skin debris, but also heal any fungus or any other skin problem that could be arising.
DHS Zinc Shampoo
Finding the best shampoo for itchy flaky scalp in a market flooded with thousands of bottles promising relief can be confusing. However, you can never go wrong with shampoos with natural ingredients. Look for tea tree oil, Zinc, Tar, fruit enzymes and seed extracts in your shampoo for itchy flaky scalp. Remember also to have it as mild as possible in order to balance the pH on your scalp. Do not buy any shampoo that is above a pH of 5.5 and anything below 4.5 will not balance your scalp’s pH.
This is a list of best shampoo for itchy flaky scalp. Did you know that an itchy scalp could cause hair loss? I hope you find a useful brand to prevent hair loss:
- Pantene Pro-V2-in-! Pyrithione Zinc Antidandruff
- DHS Zinc Shampoo
- Neutrogena T/Gel Daily Control 2-in-1 Dandruff Shampoo
- Aubrey Organics Primrose & Lavender Scalp Soothing Shampoo
- Eucerin Dermocappilaire Calming Urea Scalp Treatment
- Follicleanse Itchy Scalp Shampoo
Natural Itchy Flaky Scalp Home Remedies
Once you find the right shampoo, you can also treat your itchy flaky scalp from food items in your kitchen cabinets or garden. There are various itchy flaky scalp home remedies, some may not smell so good, but they will give you the relief you need from the itchiness and flakes. Try these home remedies on your itchy flaky scalp and wash after an hour or if you feel comfortable to sleep in them, do so:
- Mashed banana mixed with apple cider vinegar
- Apply lemon juice on scalp. Rinse off after 30 minutes.
- Get some aloe vera gel by splitting a leaf or several leaves of aloe plant and spread the gel liberally on your scalp. This has a soothing cooling effect on your scalp. Rinse off after one hour.
Different Itchy Flaky Scalp Treatments
Your scalp should get relief from the use of the above home remedies and the use of the best shampoo for itchy flaky scalp. However, if you have stubborn itchy flaky scalp the best thing would be to seek treatment from a doctor. He or she can diagnose the cause of your scalp woes and give you prescription shampoos, lotions and maybe oral medication such as:
- Psoriatrax Coal Tar Shampoo
- Nizoral AD Shampoo
- Psoriasis lotion
- DHS Tar
You can also continue using natural home remedies for itchy scalp treatment that moisturize your scalp deeply and heal your scalp. The use of yogurt for example is a god itchy flaky scalp treatment that contains natural lactic acid. Apply on scalp and leave it for 30-60 minutes before rinsing off with warm water.