How do you make natural hair gel? Discover how to make styling gel at home. Furthermore, learn the best gel for natural hair out there in the market including all natural.
If you decide to transition to natural hair, you must be prepared to search for the right styling products. It is not easy to style as it is for processed hair. However, this is no reason for you to revert to processed hair. You could try an all-natural hair relaxer if you want to manage your hair easily although it is not a guarantee that frizzes will be unavoidable when styling.
A styling gel can help tame the frizzes as well as add moisture to your curls. The greatest difficulty lays in finding the best brand since there are so many brands in the market. This guide will give you the best gel for natural hair, all natural and recipes for homemade styling gels.
Natural Hair Gel or Gel for Natural Hair Over the Counter
When it comes to finding the right gel for, the first things you must consider are the ingredients of the brand. Unfortunately, most gels are laden with manufactured chemicals that do not nourish your hair or scalp. Furthermore, they leave you vulnerable to hair loss. It would be sad to lose your natural hair to chemicals in a styling product when you have given up the harsh relaxers.
Finding a natural gel for hair is not an easy task because even the gels that promise to be all natural will have at least one drying or harmful ingredient in them. However, if you take the time to look at the ingredients label and research online to make sure that you know more about the ingredients used then your hair will be safe.
On the other hand, if you are following these tips and rules for natural hair, you may only require a gel occasionally. Therefore, even if it has a few ingredients that you do not like, you will not be using it for long anyway. Besides, you can always forego over the counter brands for homemade styling gels, which are all natural. If you still insist on finding a gel for natural hair over the counter, here are some of the popular brands:
- Ecostyler Olive oil gel
- Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle
- John Masters Organics Sweet Orange & Silk Protein gel
- Ouidad Heat & Humidity gel
- Original Moxie Oasis Moisture gel
- Dr. Bronner’s Organic Lavender Hair Conditioning & Style Cream
- Cantu Shea Butter Twist & lock gel
- Softsheen Carson Let’s Jam Custard Cream
- Intelligent Nutrients Certified Organic Styling gel
- Organic Root Stimulator Lock & Twist Gel
- Ampro Styl Olive oil
- DE Natural
- Marie Dean Cherry & plum Styling pomade
- Ouidad Curl Quencher Moisturizing Gel
- John Masters Organics Bourbon Vanilla & Tangerine Hair Texturizer
- Aveeda Control Paste
Best Gel for Natural Hair or Best Brands
Out of the many gels in the market, some have emerged to be best among users. Here is a list of the best gel for natural hair:
- Crème of Nature Perfect Edges Hair Gel
- Ecostyler Gel
- Original Sprout
- Shea’s Moisture curling Custard
- Miss Jessie’s Curly Pudding
- Soft & Silky Styling Gel
- Jason Hi-Shine Flaxseed Styling gel
It is important that you read various reviews for best natural hair gel listed above. That way, you will know whether it has a strong or light hold, whether it crunches or not, and its moisturizing capability. Some gels are popular, but when it comes to delivering results, they do not.
All Natural Hair Gel
Reading the ingredients label will enable you to land an all natural hair gel. However, even after looking at various products, you may still find elements of chemicals in them. When that becomes the case, you can always make use of homemade styling gels, which will ensure that you make use of 100% natural products.
However, if you still want to try over the counter all gels, you could purchase the following:
- Aubrey Organics Hair Design Gel B5
- Original Sprout
- Jason Hi-Shine Natural Flaxseed Styling Gel
If these do not give you the results you are looking for in your hair styling, then you should consider making your own flaxseed or gelatin gel at home. It is easy and you can play around with the ingredients to make it personal.
Original Sprout Natural Hair Gel
The only hair gel that claims to be 100% natural is Original Sprout brand. According to their website, both babies and adults can use the Original Sprout. It is 100% vegan and contains no fragrances. Other elements of this styling gel are:
- Prevents hair breakage
- It seeks to strengthen and soften hair
- Does not leave a sticky scum on the hair
- It tames flyaway’s, smoothes frizzes and holds hair where you want it
- It gives medium hold on hair
Natural Hair Gel for Men
Men too should make use of styling gels to change their looks occasionally if not often. When it comes to men’s products ingredients, rules abide. Choose products with natural components instead of harsh elements. Below you will find a popular natural hair gel for men:
- TIGI Bed Head Men Matte Separation Work Wax
- Men’s Aubrey Organics Stock Ginseng Biotin Hair Gel
- Joico Spiker Water- Resistant Styling Glue
- Burt’s Bees Natural Skin Care for Men Hair Gel
Natural Hair Gel for Babies
You can play with your baby’s hair by making use of gel to get a Mohawk, or spiked hair dos among others. This is only possible with the right gel that will not harm the tender skin of your little one. The best brands for babies therefore is Original Sprout, which is 100% vegan; your child cannot react to it.
Styling Gel for Natural Hair or Holding Gel for Natural Hair
Although there are many brands of styling gel for natural hair in the market, not all will give you a strong hold. Therefore, you have to experiment with several brands before you land the right one, or better still if you read various reviews online, in order to find yourself the best holding gel for your hair.
A good styling gel with great hold could be:
- Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel
- Mizani Pure Style Workable High Hold Gel
- Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk
- Shea moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curling Soufflé
Flaxseed Gel Natural Hair – Homemade Gel
If wading in the waters of the various commercial brands of styling gel is difficult, you can simply resort to making a flaxseed gel natural hair regimen at home. It is quick and easy to do that and it can stay for about a month if your store it in the refrigerator. All you will need to do is boil flaxseeds in water using high heat and when it starts to boil, whisk. Lower the heat after it has reached boiling point so that it can shimmer.
You should see the seeds suspended in the gel to know it is ready for your use. Strain the gel into bottle you can store the gel with before it gets cold and add any oil, essential oil or butter to make is smell good. You can also add preservatives to make it last for a whole month. The best additives to the gel could be aloe vera, honey, citric acid, lavender, xanthan gum to make it hold better, jojoba oil among others. Do not use coconut oil though. Mix to make a consistent combination.
You will need:
- 1/3 cup flaxseeds
- 2 cups water
- A boiling pot
- A separate bottle with a top
- Essential oil of choice
- Honey (optional)
- Aloe vera (optional)
- Grapefruit seed to preserve the mixture
DIY, Homemade, How to Make Natural Hair Gel and Recipe
Here is a natural hair gel recipe:
- Get ¼ teaspoon of unflavored gelatin
- Fetch ½ cup water (distilled)
Heat the water and melt the gelatin in it. Stir to combine. Add 5 drops of your favorite essential oil to get a great scent of the gel.
How to make natural hair gel using flaxseeds:
- Boil a cup of flaxseeds in water
- When the water comes to a boil lower the heat so that it can shimmer
- When you see the seeds suspended in the foamy jelly, remove the pot from the stove and strain the seeds, store the gel in a bottle with a lid
- Add any essential oils or preservatives you would want in your gel and cover tightly and store in the refrigerator.
When using these gels, you should ensure that you also have the best natural hair shampoo and conditioner so that your moisturizing efforts begin in the shower and end up with the use of the natural gel for styling.