When looking for the best demi permanent hair color, you will get top brands such as Wella, ion, Clairol, Garnier, Redken, L’Oreal, etc. However, do you know what they are? Get insight on what is demi permanent hair color, benefits, some of the top brands to go for and how to remove them.
What is Demi Permanent Hair Color – Definition and Meaning?
Demi Permaent Hair Color
Your unique hair, skin and nail beauty vitamins. ...Read more here »
Before we look at some of best brands and removal procedure, you deserve clearly to understand what demi permanent hair colors are. Demi permanent haircolor refers to hair dyes, which last longer than semi permanent hair colors or dyes, but for a lesser duration when compared to permanent haircolors and dyes. Typically, they can last for 20 to 28 shampoo washes; they are easy to use, and quite versatile.
On composition, they often contain alkaline agents (such as sodium carbonate, ethanolamine, etc) instead of ammonia i.e. are ammonia free haircolors and you will need a developer such as hydrogen peroxide. However, in terms of amounts, you will use lesser concentration of the developers. Since alkaline agents used are not as strong as ammonia, they will not remove your haircolors natural pigments and you cannot have a lighter hair shade when you use demi permanent haircolor.
When using them, these haircolors do not open up the cuticle completely for color to penetrate into the cortex and this preserves the integrity of your hairs. Instead, these haircolors stick temporarily beneath your cuticle without getting into the cortex.
In terms of side effects, the demi permanent hair dyes pose health dangers just like most of the permanent and semi permanent hair dyes. These might range from allergic reaction to these dyes, skin irritation to effects that are more serious.
Advantages or Benefits of Demi Permanent Hair Colors
Although they cannot lighten your hair being ammonia free, these haircolors have their own numerous advantages that make many people go for them instead of semi permanent hair dyes or permanent hair colors. Inasmuch as they might not be as effective as permanent hair dye in covering grey hair, they have their own benefits that make them preferred by many people. So what are some of the benefits or advantages?
- They cause less hair damaging effects when compared to permanent hair dye due to lower concentrations of hydrogen peroxide or other developers. Therefore, they are safer for hairs that are already damaged.
- You will have more enhanced natural and even look since they do not lighten hair being ammonia free when compared to permanent haircolors.
- You can use them to enhance a previously applied haircolor, especially if you initially applied a permanent hair color and it is fading, i.e. it can help you restore and refresh your color without damaging your hair.
- They gradually are washed out making root regrowth less visible and do not alter your haircolor. Furthermore, you will not get into a serious commitment of ensuring your hair retains its new dye color when compared to using a permanent hair dye.
- Colorless formula of demi permanent hair colors can be used to add dazzling shine to your hair. This should be opted for when you do not want to use colored ones.
- They can give 100% gray hair coverage. However, if you have coarser hair, the less the demi permanent hair colors will cover it well.
- Some demi permanent hair dye will allow you immediately to use permanent wave services or relaxers. However, this is specific to some brands.
- Since it does not lighten your hair, it is hard to mess up your hair when using demi permanent haircolors when opposed to using permanent ones.
- They are very effective in blending grey hair and they will ensure you have the most natural looking blended gray haircolor. Use one to two shades lighter than your haircolor to create highlights hair that has no pigment (white hair), which will take the demi permanents hair color shade you used.
These are not the only advantages of these haircolors; there are many others, which might vary from one product to another such as being gentler on your hair, easy to experiment with, etc.
Disadvantages of Demi Permanent Haircolors
On the downside, these haircolors tend to be costly if you opt for a salon. However, home demi permanent hair color kits could be affordable. Furthermore, if you are looking for a long time solution to your hair, you need to go for permanent dyes since these will last for up 30 shampoo washes and during each wash, they slowly fade.
Best Demi Permanent Hair Color Brands – Top Brands
If you are interested to try some of the best demi permanent hair color, we have listed some of the top brands below. We reviewed a number of these hair-coloring products before coming up with the list. However, this list of the best demi permanent hair colors is not all conclusive.
Keep Your Body Slim & Fit...Read more here »
- Clairol Natural Instincts
- Garnier HerbaShine Color Crème with Bamboo Extracts
- Redken Shades EQ Demi Permanent
- Ion Color Brilliance Intensive Shine
- L’Oréal Paris Healthy Look Crème Gloss Color
- N Rage Demi-Permanent Hair Color
- Wella Color Charm Demi-Permanent Haircolor
- Colaura Demi-Permanent Conditioning Hair Color
As expected, from the list of the best demi permanent hair dyes, you could not miss products from some of the leading brands such as Redken, L’Oreal, Garnier, Clairol, and Wella. Of course, these are not the only best demi permanent hair colors. There are many others. Furthermore, each of these top brands comes in different colors. Ensure you read user reviews, rating and comments before you try any and that you pick the right shade.
How to Remove Demi Permanent Hair Color
You have a clear understanding of what demi permanent haircolors are, some of its best brands, and benefits or advantages. The question that most people will often ask is how they can remove demi permanent hair color once they have applied it. There are many ways removing them. Some of these common ways to remove demi permanent haircolors include the following:
- Use hair color remover (such as Vanish and Color Oops) and the appropriate developer
- Using baking soda mixed with dawn dish washing soap while washing your hair can help
- Using lemon juice (citric acid) or white vinegar (has acidic property) – apply it on your hair and wait for about 20 minutes before washing it off.
- Shampooing 2 to 3 times daily using clarifying shampoos to help remove excess haircolor molecules. Prell Shampoo is particularly a good one to try or any other shampoo without sulfates.
Other products people have tried including the use of vitamin C treatment, hot oil, and other hair dye strippers you might get in the market (experiment and read reviews about them before trying them out).
We will not go into the details of how to remove demi permanent haircolor since the technique or procedure might be depended on which method you are using. We are neither going to discuss ways of removing demi permanent hair dye from skin, face, clothing, etc. See more on how to remove hair dye stains.
Depending on whether you have gone for Clairol, Garnier, Redken, N’Rage Wella or L’Oreal, or any other leading brand you might get more details on how to remove each of these demi permanent hair dye.
Furthermore, people who have very porous hair might find it hard to remove the hair dye since it will be able to penetrate to their hair’s cortex, making it look much the same as
Where to Buy Demi Permanent Hair Color
Once you have decide on which best demi permanent hair color will be best for you, you need to know where to buy these hair dyes. You will not miss them on leading online shops such as amazon.com, Sally’s Beauty Supply, eBay or Sephora, etc. You will also get them in most leading local cosmetic vendors. I hope this discussion has answered the below questions
- How to you remove demi permanent haircolors
- How long will they last?
- How do they work or what they are.
- Some of the best brands of each
Further Suggested Reading
- Organic hair Dyes Best Insight Including Best Brands, Henna and Natural
- Best Orange Hair Dye Brands Worthwhile Trying
- Foam Hair Color, Dye and Best Brands
- Best Non Permanent Hair Color Brands – Clairol, L’Oreal, Garnier, Nice N’ Easy
- Best Brands of Green Hair Dye Including Dark, Neon, Mint, Lime and Splat
- Best Brands of Silver Hair Dye Permanent and Semi Permanent
- Allergic Reaction to Hair Dye Symptoms, Treatment and Testing
- Turquoise Hair Dye and Hair Color – Best Brands Including Atomic and Semi Permanent
- Ammonia Free Hair Color & Dye – No Ammonia or Best Hair Dyes without Ammonia
- Washable Hair Dye & Color Best Brands For Kids and Splat
- Teal Hair Dye and Hair Color Including Dark and Permanent
- Glow in the Dark Hair Dye, Gels and Color – Best Brands