Are you looking for ways to reduce or cure pink eye symptoms or at least reduce them? This article on natural and home remedies for pink eye will cover the various ways in which you can minimize the , , pain and any inflammation.
- Turmeric – Turmeric remedy for pink eye is used as a hot compress. You need to mix two teaspoons of turmeric powder in a cup of water that has been boiled and use it to compress the affected eye(s).
- Calendula – To use this natural or home remedy for pink eye, you need to boil about two teaspoons of calendula petals in a cup of water and let them cool. Once this mixture cools, use it as eyewash. Alternatively, you can use it as hot compress or simply soak cotton balls or washcloth and apply them on your eye while still warm.
- Aloe Vera – You can use aloe vera as both eyewash or for compresses. For compresses, dip a washcloth or cotton ball and apply on the affected areas. However, if you want to use this home remedy for pinkeye as eyewash, combine a half a teaspoon of aloe vera in a cup of boiled and cooled water. You could also add a half a teaspoon of boric acid to act as a preservative.
- Yogurt – Yogurt is helpful in dealing with pinkeye. To use this remedy for conjunctivitis, you should apply poultice yogurt on area, which have been infected with this condition. Try teabags since it is one of the great home remedies for pinkeye.
- Lemon Juice – If you want to ooze out pus, you then need to apply a few drops of lemon juice on your palm and apply them on the outside surface of the affected area. This home remedy for pink eye often causes a stinging feeling that will last for only a few minutes (about 5 minutes).
It is impossible to exhaust all the home remedies for pink eye. You can also try drinking a mixture of one Indian gooseberry juice with two honey teaspoons twice a day, use a mixture of salt and boiled water on affected areas, use rose water as an eye drop, put chamomile teabags that have been moisten on eyelids for 10 minutes. Finally, try boric acid and milk mixture or elderberry bosom tea as eyewash or compresses.
When to See a Doctor While Using Home Remedies
When using the various home remedies for pink eye, you need to watch the following symptoms of conjunctivitis. In case they occur, you should immediately see a doctor:
- Blurry vision or poor vision that does not clear when you blink
- Any kind of eye pain remains or worsens
- You develop sensitivity to light, (photophobia)
- Any of the pinkeye symptoms become more severe
- You have signs of development of any eye infection
Although the discussed natural and home remedies for pink eye can help, they should not be used as a substitute to the professional medical advice. However, they should not be ruled out as they help in reducing the symptoms of pink eye . In case you are suffering from either viral or bacterial pinkeye , you need to be very careful since the two are very infectious and contagious kinds of conjunctivitis .
More on Pink Eye/Conjunctivitis
- Pink Eye Cure and Treatments – Diagnosis, Cures and Treatment of Different Types Pinkeye or Conjunctivitis
- Bacterial Pink Eye – Causes, Symptoms, Treatment and Prevention of Bacterial Conjunctivitis
- Pink Eye Symptoms –What is, Types, Causes, Sign, Relief and Pinkeye Newborns, Children and Adults
- Viral Pink Eye – Causes, Symptoms, Cures, Treatments, Prevention Diagnosis of Viral Conjunctivitis
- Contagious Pink Eye – Is Pink Eye Contagious? How Long, Prevention of Infectious Conjunctivitis
- Eye Drops for Pink Eye – Use, Side Effects, Antibiotic, Over the Counter and Ointments for Conjunctivitis
Further Suggested Reading on Red Eyes
- Causes of Red Eye – Symptoms, Reasons and Why You Have Red Eyes
- Red Bloodshot Eyes –Symptoms, Causes, Get Rid, Cures, Remedies of Blood Shot Eyes
- Get Rid of Red Eyes – Cures, Remedies, Redness in Eyes Treatment
- Red Eye in Photos – Causes, Prevention and How to Fix Red Eye Pictures
- Red Eye in Dogs – Causes, Symptoms, Cure, Remedies, Treatment of Cats and Dogs with Red Eyes