Huge thighs, Curvy hips, and full rear. If this features best describe your body shape, then you probably have a pear shape. This article will explain the pear body shape in more details. We’ll explain what it means and include a picture of this body type in addition to listing several celebrities that have it. We’ll also highlight suitable diet and dressing options for ear shaped women.
Pear Body Shape – Meaning and Picture
Pear Body Shape
Fitness and diet experts categorize human bodies into three main shapes depending on where the body tends to store fats as well as how the body breaks down various nutrients and foods. These are pear body shape, apple body shape and chili pepper body shape. For the purpose of this article we will focus mainly on the pear body shape.
So what does it mean to have a pear body shape or to be a pear if you like? Well, you can be described as having a pear body shape (otherwise known medically as gynoid body type) if you have a smaller waist but larger thighs and hips such that the area around your hips appears more built with the top part of your body appearing smaller and slimmer (narrower shoulders).
To put it in the very basic sense, pear shaped individuals have more built lower bodies but smaller upper bodies, just like a pear fruit. Taking a look at a pear fruit can give you a clue as to what we area talking about.
People with a pear body shape have a tendency to accumulate fat in the area around the thighs, buttock, and hips as opposed to the abdomen which often makes the hips the area of focus for their body. This is usually advantageous because abdominal fat is linked to higher risk for diabetes and heart disease.
On the downside however, pear shaped bodies are more prone to cellulite, varicose veins, and osteoporosis as Dr. Marie Savard, the author of Apples and Pears – The Body Shape Solution for Weight Loss and Wellness says.
Pears area also more susceptible to eating disorders and low self-esteem owing to an often poor perception of themselves as a result of the highly-glorified slim body shape that has dominated the western media for a long time; at least it is not as much glorified nowadays and the pear shaped body is increasingly appreciated.
If you are not sure whether you have a pear shaped body, determining your Hip-to-Waist ratio may be helpful. Here is a simple way to do that:
- Measure your waist an inch above the navel
- Measure your hip from the widest area of the body.
- Now divide the size of your waist by the size of your hip. You are a pear body shape if the result is anything below 0.8 (including 0.8). If the figure is higher, then you are an apple shaped body.
Celebrities with Pear Body Shape
Celebrities Beyonce, Christina and Tyra Banks
You by now know that we like to give practical examples based on real life experiences and daily encounters. To guide your understanding, here are some celebrities with pear shaped bodies.
Take some time to look at photos of some of these celebrities and you will see how elegant they look most of the time (if not all) which means that you can as well look glamorous even with a pear shaped body. It is just their designers understand their designers understand their body shapes and keep it in mind when doing their magic for them.
Dresses for Pear Shaped Body Women
Now that you understand what a pear body shape is and you have probably determined that you are one of the pears, you are now likely interested in learning what ideal dresses for pear shaped body women are.
Dresses for People with Pear Body Shapes
The goal of Pear Shaped Body Clothes or Pear Body Shape Clothes
We all know that accentuating your best features while playing down on your undesirable ones is an important goal that should inform your choice of dressing. For the pear shaped women, the goal is to elongate their figure while balancing their proportions by accentuating their back, waist and shoulders. Dresses for pear shaped body women should also focus the attention on your upper body while de-emphasizing the lower half of your body.
How to Dress a Pear Shaped Body
Dresses for Pear Body Shape
Just the other day, one of our valued readers asked us how to dress her pear shaped body. Well, here are a few tips to observe when selecting dresses for pear shaped body women:
- Wear brightly colored tops with large prints to draw attention to your upper body. Putting on a scarf also helps to add volume to your upper body.
- Choose appropriate neckline that emphasizes the bust while making the shoulders appear wider. Scoop-necks and boat-necks are fantastic options for a wider-shouldered effect while sweetheart necks help to make the bust more prominent. Strapless dresses and tops are also a great option for pear shaped body women if you are comfortable with them.
- Layered top add bulk to your mid section which downplays the wide hips and bring out a more balanced look
- Wide sleeved tops, although relatively hard to find, makes your arms appear fuller for a more balanced look
- Choose the right bra to give volume to the typically smaller bust that is characteristic of the pear shaped body. Padded and push-up bras are an especially great option.
- To give your hips a slimmer look, choose darker colored pants and skirts such as black, navy blue, gray, olive green and brown. For a more proportioned look of your legs, go for flared or straight leg pants and avoid very skinny ones as these will reveal the huge size of your hips.
- Skirts that hit the knees or the ankle are also a great option for pear shaped women as they shift the attention away from the hips. It is also advisable to avoid beaded as well as embroidered pockets in addition to glitzy belts as this draw attention to your hips.
Swimsuits for Pear Shaped Bodies
The rather disproportional size of pear shaped bodies, with fuller lower half and smaller upper half can make finding a swimsuit that fits both halves well tricky. You get yourself a nice bikini only to find that it fits on the lower part but sags in the upper part.
Swimsuit for Pear Body
Luckily there are many lines of swimsuits for pear shaped bodies that are conscious of this innate challenge of being a bootylicious. Some are the Tommy Hilfiger Swimwear tankini top, the Badgley Mischka Twist and Shout bikini, Kushcush Carolina bikini, and Sunsets Brush Strokes banded halter top and twist V-front bottom bikini.
Swimsuit aside, don’t forget to slather on a sunscreen to protect your precious skin; I am sure that a peeling skin is not your idea of fun. I also think that you shouldn’t have to bother with skin tightening when you can prevent getting a loose skin –in its basic sense – in the first place.
Pear Shaped Body Diet
People with a pear body shape have a body chemistry that is characterized by high levels of estrogen; the hormone responsible for feminine characteristics. Consequently, pear shaped individuals have a lower metabolic rate and any excess fat is deposited beneath the skin, particularly in the areas around the thighs and hips.
In other words, pear shaped bodies have higher tendency to accumulate fat in their hips and thigh areas. The fat stored in these areas tends to attract even more fat and pear shaped body diet need to be aware of this. Dr. Marie Savard thus describes the pear body shape as a fat magnet.
The goal of a pear shaped body diet should be focused on helping you to lose fat in the stubborn areas (thighs and hips) and reducing cellulite.
At the very basic, the diet needs to be low in fats (healthy fats) and higher in proteins and carbohydrates. In an interview with the Fitness magazine, Neva Cochran, a dietician based in Dallas, US says that pear shaped bodies have a tendency to metabolize proteins and carbohydrates for provision of energy and instead store fats rather than metabolize them.
And fat not used by a pear shaped body in provision of energy will be stored in the buttock- hip-thigh area.
That is to say that a pear body shape will store fats and instead use proteins and carbohydrates first. It is thus advisable that you (a pear) you reduce your intake of high fat foods the likes of fried foods, snacks e.g. potato chips, nuts, and red meat.
Some good sources of Healthy fats ideal for pear shaped bodies (albeit in low amounts) are flaxseed oil, nuts, coconut oil, mackerel, and salmon.
You should ideally stay away from animal fats (that includes fatty meat, cream, butter, cheese and full fat milk) and refined carbs as well as salty foods. Healthier salts such as Celtic sea salt and Himalayan pink crystal salt are also a healthier alternative to regular table salt and are worth incorporating into your diet if you have a pear shaped body.
Incorporating complex carbohydrates into your pear shaped body diet is also recommended and this can be attained from whole grains, buckwheat, legumes, fruits veggies, and oatmeal in addition to dark breads and brown rice.
Some good sources of protein that you should as well consider are yoghurt, fish, eggs, whey protein powder, seafood, lean beef, cottage cheese and skinless chicken breast to name but a few.
Lastly, since pear shaped bodies are more susceptible to osteoporosis, it is advisable to include lots of calcium-rich foods such as seaweed, celery, cauliflower, potatoes, bok choy, Brussels sprouts, spinach, turnip, collard greens, broccoli, and okra. Fruits rich in calcium include Oranges, apples and pears.
ideal pear shaped body diet should include 45% lean proteins, 45% complex carbohydrates and 10% healthy fats and include plenty of calcium.
Further Suggested on Body Type or Shape
- What Is My Body Shape and What Are the Different Shapes for Women Bodies
- Apple Body Types Dresses, Diet, Women Celebrities with Apple Type of a Body
- Hourglass Shaped Body Dresses, Clothes, Shaper, Celebrities with Hourglass Body Figure
- Inverted Triangle Body Celebrities, Clothes, Dresses and Diet
- Rectangle Body Meaning, Dress, Swimsuits, Jeans and Celebrities Whose Bodies Are Rectangular
- Shapes of Bodies Including Shapes Triangle, Vase, Straight Lollipop, Cello and Cornet
- Curvy Body types, dresses, clothes and Workouts for Women with Curvy Bodies