The world is slowly shifting to the plastic bottles and containers for storing, carrying, drinking or eating food. You are bound to get lunch boxes, feeding and water bottles made from plastic. Not any plastic container or bottle you see on the market is safe for you use. There is more you deserve to know about these containers including their safety, how to clean, how to buy a good one and a lot more. If you are using your plastic container in feeding your newborn baby, I have also an excellent article on baby milk powder that has information on ingredients, choosing, using, and safety issues.
How to Choose Plastic Container
Plastic Container – How to Choose, Clean and Safety Concerns for Plastic Containers
Choosing a plastic container is not just a matter of walking into a shopping mall or supermarket and picking whatever container pleases you. You should bear some very important considerations in mind. So what do you consider when choosing a plastic container?
- When choosing a plastic container, you deserve should decide if you want a reusable or a non-reusable. People seeking for reusable plastics should go for polypropylene (PP),High-density polyethylene (HDPE)) or low-density polyethylene (LDPE) containers since they do not contain any chemicals that might leach to your food as you continually use them.
- If you want to use your plastic container for carrying liquid foods, go for plastics made from polyethylene terephthalate. You will see a PET or PETE on these plastics. This will be ideal for carrying water, juices, soda, milk, and so on. However any polyethylene terephthalate plastics are bound to become cloudy and cracked, ensure you replace them when that happens to avoid them leaking chemicals to your food.
- Furthermore, when choosing a plastic container, price is very important. Different manufactures have different price tags. Without compromising on safety, quality and durability of the specific plastic bottle or container you are considering, ensure you buy those sold at the most favourable prices.
- Finally, when choosing a plastic container, you should consider how you want to reuse it. Some plastics can carry hot food or even heat food in a microwave while others might not withstand such conditions. Consider the specific properties that certain types of plastic container you are considering have. Look for labels such as microwave or oven safe to be certain you can use them for heating food.
How to Clean a Plastic Container
Plastic Container – How to Clean Plastic Containers
Once you have chosen a good plastic container, you deserve to know to clean it. Plastic containers need thorough cleaning to ensure they do not contaminate your food or even develop stains. Normal washing will involve using warm soapy water in a dishwasher. A nylon scrubber will be ideal. You can add a plastic booster if you have one. In case the plastic container has a tough stain that does not come out during normal washing, you can try and oxidizing agent, Palmolive or bleaching agents such as chlorine. Your oven cleaner will help you cleaning the exterior surface of your plastic container. The bottom line of cleaning any plastic container used to carry food is sterilizing it to avoid it contaminating your food.
Plastic Container Care
Plastic Container Various types of plastic containers
Other than good washing and choosing of plastics, good care can have an impact on how well they will serve you. Some of the general important tips for caring for a plastic container include the following:
- Avoid boiling sugary liquid foods in ovens or microwaves
- Avoid exposing your plastic food containers to high temperatures beyond those recommended by manufactures.
- Avoid soaking them for long hours, especially colored ones since the color might come out.
- Wash any stains immediately since leaving it to form might make cleaning difficult.
- Do not microwave your food with colored additives that cause permanent stains such as tomato source.
- Avoid leaving your plastics on the sun for so long since some of them will be degraded optically.
- Avoid freezing any plastic bottles or containers.
Plastic Container Safety
Safety of any plastic container is very important to anyone who intends to buy and/or use one. There have been many controversies on the safety of plastics with regards to use in storing food or water. One ingredient you should avoid is the Bisphenol-a (BPA) which leach chemicals to drink. In addition, you should not use the Polyvinyl chloride (PVC or V) since they might contain traces of plasticizers used during their manufacture. However, with proper washing and care of plastics, you will minimize any potential risks.
Benefits of Plastic Container
Plastics, especially containers are very popular due to the various benefits they have. Some of the common benefits any plastic container include the following:
- They are durable and can withstand reuse for a long time if you picked a good quality.
- Since they can be recycled, plastic containers are environmental friendly.
- They are light in weight and thus easy to carry
- They are considered safe since they do not shutter like glass bottles
- They are easy to maintain.
The benefits that any plastic container has are endless. Ensure you invest today in a good quality container made from safe materials and everything else will be a breeze.